Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fluxus

Fluxus saturday was sweet. Long and sweet. The highlight was definitely Emily Rosen's installation. The floor had a speaker in it that was playing some ambient music Zebulon Idunnohislastname made and the floor had a nice black fabric over it.
No shoes in the womb.

The walls and ceiling were decorated with scarves and fabric hanging over christmas lights. I imagine if I were a baby and someone held lots of LEDs to mom's stomach, it would be sort of like that.

The Sellar is definitely awesome now too. Neil Fridd cleaned out everything inside save for black lights and 3 bands played there. Cameron Wisch, Landlords and Ghost Mall. I had to miss Ghost Mall so that I could tear down my equipment in Whitsons, but Cameron was awesome. Usually he brings his own black lights and gets crazy with flourescent paint. He got crazy with the paint (which smells like a fish market) but the whole room was illuminated in black lights. Landlords chose to use a single green bulb in place of black lights (I think they were bugged out by all the hepatitis yellow eyes). Instead everyone looked a little dead unnder the green. Very cool band, very loud band. Pat Lamonthe (Landlords drummer) had contact mics attatched to his kick and snare and a piece of sheet metal hanging from his crash. It gave it a very industrial vibe, but also allowed the band to really crank it.

Now for Elemeno - I had so much fun playing. Eric Drasin was doing some cool filtering of live footage of us playing, as we were playing? does that make sense? He disguised it well with all the filters and colors. It was a little loose overall, but lots of fun and a good experience for those around. I ended up with a new flag on my guitar when the tuners caught it off my mic stand. Now I get to be a standard bearer and play guitar at the same time - Just what I've always wished for.
We might be able to do some track with Dan Stringer next weekend, but first I need to make things more solid. It's fine live to jam out on psychadaelic minimalism (though it's not so minimal anymore, nor ever) but if all you have is the audio, it needs to hold interest or have more emotional impact, or at least be less long winded.

Everyone's a critic.

I also got to catch the end of Moving Mountains set and talk to Dave from Damiera for a bit. Good day overall.

I wrote this in the dining hall yesterday morning. I think it's funny

Collected at the center of a room, a human nucleus
The cell swells and fades when our time is up
Voices stir and bubble, shake the boiling pot
Stewing in our company
Came out tasting all the same

Heat away our blessing and our cures
heat away our health and sense of self
Heat away until our lives are blurred
The walking dead
The egg is cracked and dripping, yolk smooth into white
The shell is all I eat to keep my body at its peak

Eat away our blessing and our cures
Eat away our health and sense of self
Eat away until our our bodies break
and leave us fucking dead

At second thought, a second helping
Paves me towards the day
Where life would strive and struggle, I am unified by taste
A third or fourth or more
Until we clean our plates
I am not a human, I'm a vacuum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter, it's Milo. Cool blog, interesting stuff. As soon as I figure out how to link and follow wordpress blogs to blogger blogs i'll link to you. Check me out at www.funtimeusa.wordpress.com one comment though, background makes text a little hard to read. If you want pictures for your blog let me know.Lets help each other rise to the tops of the ranks of google.

AK said...

thanks for the plug http://www.myspace.com/landlordsny